Monday, April 13, 2009

The Best Boiled Eggs in the World!



I know, the last post was on my Japanese Egg Scramble, but why not add more to the charm of eggs? You can find the benefits of eggs on my previous post, so I won't go into all that jazz here. I will instead share with you the recipe of the best, most perfectly boiled eggs.


This is a recipe from DH (aka known as Dear Hubby, aka Brad). He loves his eggs in the morning for a take-away breakfast to work. I usually get to them as a nutritious snack to tide me over until lunch or dinner. After months of making them himself and perfecting his own recipe, he didn't bother to share it with me until last week, the nerve of him! J/K (I know he reads this blog from time to time...) =) =) =)


What I love about this recipe is that these eggs are divine. I used to need salt to choke down overly cooked boiled eggs, but not with these eggs. They are cooked to a just-done texture, where the moist yolk is a nice bright yellow color and no ugly grey rings to be had.



You'll need:
Eggs
Water
Take a medium-sized pot and fill with eggs so they are one single-layer. Fill pot with water to cover tops of eggs by at least 1/2 inch of water. Put under medium-high heat. Watch carefully! Once the water begins to boil (large bubbles), turn off heat or move pot away from burner. Leave in hot water for 9 minutes. Once 9 minutes are up, drain hot water and replace it with cool water.

PS - I have been told that older eggs make better boiled eggs than newer eggs. Apparently, they are less likely to stick to the shells when being peeled. If this works for you, please let me know. I don't think I ever have eggs that are "old" since we go through them so quickly!

Photo courtesy of woodleywonderworks

5 comments:

  1. So now you've got me totally craving eggs!

    I don't know if I can tell the difference in how hard boiled eggs come out--no matter how long I cook them they seem to taste kind of the same. But I'll have to try this method!

    And that scrambled egg recipe below looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Crabby for your presence on my blog!

    What's not to love about eggs!! I just so enjoy them, especially pastured, soy-free eggs...yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old eggs do work better as hard boiled eggs as far as easing the peeling process. But, you can replicate that with new eggs by heating and cooling a couple times. So, using your process: after they'd been in the cool water for a minute, you'd put them back in boiling water for a minute, then put them back in cold water until you peeled them. WAY easier to peel!

    Thanks for contributing this to Fight Back Fridays!

    Cheers,
    KristenM
    (AKA FoodRenegade)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have the worst luck w/boiled eggs when it comes time to pick them. I searched the internet and discovered if you immediately put them in cold water when they are finished cooking, the cold reacts w/the hot and causes a layer of steam to form between the shell & the meat. This will cause an easier peel.

    I tried it on Good Friday and it worked. I actually had success! My kids love boiled eggs, they can eat a dozen of them at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kristen, I will have to try that out! I can imagine using a colander to help that process out.. not sure how it would work otherwise!

    Motherhen68: I do that with my recipe, but it still doesn't seem to work, maybe because I turn off the heat and then let them sit for a few minutes? Maybe Kristen's method could help.

    ReplyDelete